You should take proper care while selecting the plants for your indoor garden of your apartment and should also garner enough knowledge about the characteristics of the chosen plants.
The Basic Factors
You should choose a plant that falls within your budget and doesn’t require more time and care than you can afford. With kids, patients and elderly people around, you should also be well aware of the harmful effects that certain indoor plants can have in order avoid any unwanted complications like:
- Rashes or scratches
Plants You Should Avoid
Generally avoid growing plants of the below given categories.
- Plants that are infested and act as hubs for pests
- Plants that possess unhealthy foliage, that is, foliage with undersides that show signs of infections or diseases
- Plants which have spots or blotches, wilted foliage, brown leaf margins or yellow leaves
- Plants whose leaves are either torn or treated with certain agents that provide an artificial polish
- Plants whose light energy requirements are more than what you can provide in an indoor environment
- Weak plants which do not have any leaf buds or new flower with some young plant growth
- Plants which do not have the capability to acclimatize, adapt and survive in the indoor conditions or your home setting
Plants That Spread Pollen
People suffering from asthma must avoid growing plants or trees which produce lot of pollen. Given below are a few plants and trees that you should avoid growing in your indoor garden or community garden if you are asthmatic or stay with a person who’s allergic to pollen.
Plants That Are Potentially Poisonous
Plants that you should avoid growing in your indoor garden, in order to prevent poisoning, have been given below:
- Azalea (Rhododendron)
- Monkshood (Aconitum)
- Bleeding heart (Dicentra)
- Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)
- Yew (Taxus cuspidate)
- Cherry (Prunus)
- Castor bean (Ricinus communis)
- Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
- Lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis)
- Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander)
- Larkspur (Delphinium)
- Jimsonweed (Datura)
- Lantana (Lantana camara)
Other Plants to Avoid
There are certain plants which can cause illness on consumption. Although adults might be prudent enough to stay away from these, kids might surrender to curiosity and succumb to poisoning or illness by eating parts of these plants.
- Cotoneaster Berries
- Pyracantha Berries
- Holly (berries and leaves)
Growing plants in apartment complexes has grown as a hobby; and you should pursue it only after gaining complete knowledge about the pros and cons involved with the activity. It is essential for you to be educated about the dangerous effects caused by some plants and the different ways in which you can tackle those effects.
Get your Society on ApnaComplex – Today!
ApnaComplex is India’s most comprehensive web based housing society accounting, management and communication software. It is designed to make the life of residents and owners a lot better by bringing in more transparency and accountability in managing a housing society. Check out the features of ApnaComplex and sign up your society today to get the benefits! We offer a free 30-day trial as well so that you can try before you buy!