Advantages of Concrete Roads
- Durability – Concrete roads are more durable than the asphalt roads and have a long life of 40 years whereas asphalt roads last only for 10 years.
- Maintenance Free – Concrete roads don’t often require repair or patch work like asphalt roads. They are more adaptable to stress and wear that’s caused by everyday vehicles. Maintenance of asphalt roads is often required as breakage and pit formation can be commonly noted in asphalt roads.
- Better Efficiency – While running on concrete roads, a vehicle consumes 15% to 20% less fuel than on asphalt roads; this is because of the fact that concrete roads don’t get deflected under the wheels of loaded vehicles.
- Tolerant to Automobile Fuel Spill – Concrete roads are more tolerant to vehicular fuel spill and leaking oils, although this might not be a problem in a housing society.
- Resistant to Extreme Climatic Conditions – Concrete roads are more resistant to extreme weather conditions like heavy rains and extreme heat. Excessive rains and other climatic conditions damage asphalt roads, and the roads need to be often repaired.
- Eco Friendly Versions – When asphalt roads are laid, the asphalt (bitumen) produces highly polluting gases. The melting process of asphalt produces a lot of harmful gases and is not eco-friendly. Also, vehicles consume less fuel while running on concrete roads. Concrete roads are better options for the eco conscious.
- Abundant Resources – Asphalt (bitumen) is obtained from imported petroleum, the reserve of which is reducing in a drastic manner. Concrete is obtained from locally and abundantly available limestone.
Advantages of Asphalt Roads
- Lower Costs of Road Laying – The paving cost for a concrete road is higher than the paving cost for an asphalt road. Asphalt is less costly when compared to concrete roads and it takes lesser time to build an asphalt road than a concrete road as it dries up faster.
- Easier Maintenance – In case of breaks or cracks in the concrete road, the whole concrete slab has to be replaced and this process can be a problem. Repairing a pit in the asphalt road is quite easier when compared to that of concrete roads. Asphalt roads can also be layered multiple times over the older layer.
- Better Traction – There is always an issue of safety in the case of snow or rain on concrete roads, as vehicles tend to slide or slip on concrete roads during the winter and monsoon. Asphalt roads offer better traction.
- Recyclable Types – Asphalt is a recyclable material. It can be repeatedly used after melting, and this is one huge advantage.
Taking these factors into consideration and after a general consensus, the housing society management can install asphalt or concrete roads within the premises.
Get your Society on ApnaComplex – Today!
ApnaComplex is India’s most comprehensive web based housing society accounting, management and communication software. It is designed to make the life of residents and owners a lot better by bringing in more transparency and accountability in managing a housing society. Check out the features of ApnaComplex and sign up your society today to get the benefits! We offer a free 30-day trail as well so that you can try before you buy!