Things to Do at Least 6 Weeks before Moving
- Make a checklist or maintain a notebook to keep track of all the moving information at a single place.
- Plan on whether you plan on hiring a moving company or you want to move out on your own.
- If you plan on hiring a moving company, then do a well planned research on which company you plan to hire.
- If you plan on moving to a place, which is far off from the current place you are staying in, cross check whether you need any special considerations such as arranging for auto shipping.
- Make an appropriate estimate of the costs you think you would incur.
- Run a check on the lease agreement for the current apartment and get an idea of how much you would have to pay to move out.
- You have to find out if there are any formalities before moving in to the new place.
- Set up a meeting with an insurance agent and get your renter’s insurance figured out for your new apartment. Make sure you cancel all your current policies when you plan to move out.
- Prepare a list of all the people who need to be intimated and contacted before you move out. The list should ideally include doctors, creditors, friends, former employees and schools.
- Start moving smaller items into boxes.
- Give a notice to the owner of the current apartment.
Things to do 4-5 Weeks before You Move
- Make a list of all the valuable items that need special care while moving.
- Donate away items that are not needed.
- Finish off all the detergent and frozen food items before moving out.
- Transfer all your newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- Inform your employer that you would want to take a day off for moving into a new apartment.
- If you are moving to a different state, make sure that you get your car tags and driving license updated.
- Close all the accounts that are not to be moved such as checking, savings, P.O. Boxes, safe deposit boxes, etc.
Things to do 2 to 3 Weeks before You Move
- Return any library items or other material that you have bought on rent.
- Make a meal chart that helps you make use of all the food items that is stored in your refrigerator.
The Final Week
- Confirm your meeting with cable or other Internet services.
- Confirm moving out details with the movers company that you have hired.
- Pack all the essentials that you would need immediately after moving in to the new apartment.
- A final apartment check is needed to make sure you have not left out anything.
Get your Society on ApnaComplex – Today!
ApnaComplex is India’s most comprehensive web based housing society accounting, management and communication software. It is designed to make the life of residents and owners a lot better by bringing in more transparency and accountability in managing a housing society. Check out the features of ApnaComplex and sign up your society today to get the benefits! We offer a free 30-day trial as well so that you can try before you buy!