The monsoon is welcomed in every Indian city and rightly so, because the entire atmosphere becomes fresher and greener right after the gruelling heat of the summer. However, come monsoon, you will have to face a hoard of problems starting with stagnant water to monsoon moss in your housing society.
During the monsoon season, the persistent moisture in the air will gradually result in the formation of moss in any structure. In a housing society, the main sections that will be affected include the roofs of buildings, walkways and stone walls.
If you observe the formation of moss over your property or anywhere else in the housing society for that matter, bringing it to the notice of the maintenance team is essential. The formation of moss can weaken the building’s structure and the foundation also becomes weaker when the issue is ignored.
Using Gutters to Control Moss
Most housing societies sport gutters along the roofs of their buildings and this can provide an effective solution for a variety of problems ranging from moss formation to fungal development along the roofs.
If the roof over your balcony or the one that slopes above your windows doesn’t have a gutter, you can take the initiative to add one yourself by hiring the right professionals. With gutters, you can take care of unnecessary rotting and moisture control as well.
Removing Moss Off the Roof
If you like rolling your sleeves up and getting things done, you can try your hand at removing moss off your roof – or you can also hire a professional who can do the same.
- You can use a broom with soft bristles in order to lightly brush away the moss that’s present on the roof. Metal rakes can also be used for this purpose. Moss will generally have thin roots, making it easy to remove.
- Small fragments of moss and other organic matter might be left even after you use a broom, so hosing down the roof is a good idea. This will help you eliminate all traces of moss and prevent its further development.
- Any organic debris that’s stuck in the roof can decompose, preparing an ideal ground for moss to flourish in, so run a check and remove all debris that maybe present between the tiles.
- Trim the branches that extend over the roof as these can deposit organic debris and also aid the formation of moss by providing shade during the already moist conditions.
Removing Moss From Brick Walls
Moss that accumulates over brick walls can grow back time and again, so you’ll need to constantly check for signs of moss and remove the same time and again.
- Bleach can be used to remove moss of walls, and this can be used in a spray cleaning bottle.
- Once you spray the mossy part of the wall with bleach, the moss will turn white.
- You can then use a hose to wash off all moss from the wall. You can use power washing tools for this purpose too.
The maintenance team in any apartment complex will be in charge of attending to moss growth and ensuring its proper removal, so notifying the team regularly is an ideal thing to do.
Get your Society on ApnaComplex – Today!
ApnaComplex is India’s most comprehensive web based housing society accounting, management and communication software. It is designed to make the life of residents and owners a lot better by bringing in more transparency and accountability in managing a housing society. Check out the features of ApnaComplex and sign up your society today to get the benefits! We offer a free 30-day trail as well so that you can try before you buy!