A resident welfare association, however, needs to be registered under the government for it to be recognized as a proper association. A registered resident welfare association will this way be able to enjoy many legal benefits. While forming a registered resident welfare association, make sure that you have more than seven members who are at least eighteen (or above) years of age. This is very important.
The primary objective of every resident welfare association would be to collect the common maintenance charges from every single resident in the apartment and use this in establishing good public infrastructure for the residents. An association will normally have to be formed under The Karnataka Apartment Ownership Act of 1972 or
The Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960 (and appropriate act for states other than Karnataka).
Every resident welfare association will have a management committee, a president, a treasurer and a secretary, apart from the regular members. There are many common responsibilities that members of the association should take up among themselves, and some of these have been mentioned below (we will cover other roles in future blog posts):
The President’s Role:
- The President will be given the authority to defend any form of legal action that is taken against the association, and will also be given the authority to sue people for legal purposes and reasons.
- The President of a resident welfare association will have the final call in approving a contract that is brought by the committee and implementing the terms.
- The President should maintain an overall view on the occurrences and ensure that all residents and members are satisfied without having any qualms or problems. The President should also oversee all expenses and make sure that they are put to good use.
The Treasurer’s Role:
- The Treasurer in a resident welfare association will be given the task of maintaining all funds within the organization. The responsibility of maintaining the money safely along with all documents also rests solely with the Treasurer.
- The Treasurer’s role is a demanding one and should be bestowed upon an experienced person with good management capabilities, as these documents and funds are very important for the association.
- The Treasurer should also make note of the overall income and also calculate monthly and yearly expenditures. This way the flow of money will be constantly regulated for the benefit of the residents.
The Secretary’s Role:
- The secretary in a resident welfare association will be given the responsibility of conducting various general body meetings.
- The secretary will also be given the responsibility of compiling the minutes of the meeting and analyzing the overall information brought to the table.
- The secretary will have to bring up concerns from each individual resident in order to ensure active participation of all members.
These are the three major roles in any resident welfare association, and you’ll need to be aware of all such responsibilities involved, in order to contest for the spot yourself, or even in order to vote for the right person when the polls come up.
ApnaComplex supports the notion of committee members – administrators can tag members with different committee member roles and even give “permissions” to modules specific to thier roles. For example, a member can be tagged as a treasurer can be given access to only accounting modules. ApnaComplex is an apartment managment software. We are now offering a 30-day no obligation free trial for every complex. Go ahead and register your complex and see how you can manage your complex more easily, efficiently, and effectively.
Know Your Residents Welfare Society Better- The Different People Who Make An Apartment Association | ApnaComplex Blog
[…] A Treasurer, and other office bearer members. Some of these roles have already been discussed earlier. People are voted into these respective positions by all members, excluding associate […]
Is it compulsory for the secretary in a resident welfare association be a tenant of the building.
Our query is that our Secretary has a room in our building and given it on lease and permanently resides
outside, does he have rights to become the secretary of our building…..appreciate your kind advice, Sir.
Rgds/ Arnold Lobo
N. V. Raman Murty
can a resident welfare association of the people who do not live in apartmetns but in squating hosues, avail hte benefits meant for RWA
Hi, I want to know that if any resident of the society is not paying the subscription of RWA just to show the resentment, can he avail the rights of the residents of society and what should he do to settle the issue if RWA is not effectively doing so.
In our society few people r not interested in its maintence and they r not paying their dues on monthly basis and for maintence of building,which is in very poor condition,but they r taking rent from their tennents nd tennets r taking all benfits of complex residing. si
r kindely give suggestions how we take money from them by rule regulations .
Can a welfare association ( reg u/s 1960) have right to do maintenance?
I am living in apartment at 5th floor. Chairman decided not to used the lift and not ready to repair it.he don’t want to give maintenance of lift. What will be the legal remedy against him
What is the role of a member in AOA.
what are the role and duties and responsibilities of Treasurer of housing society