Management Committee (MC) of a housing society/apartment complex is essentially the backbone of an apartment complex. The activities performed by the managing committee members determines the residents’ quality of life up to a great extent. The committee members shoulder a great responsibility to offer a superior experience to residents staying in an apartment. For smooth operations of an apartment and to fulfill one’s responsibility as a management committee member, a certain code of conduct needs to be followed.
Most people take up the job of a management committee member more as a voluntary service for their apartment. Moreover, there is no formal induction done for easing the first-time committee members into the job. The code of conduct given below will help all existing and newly formed management committee set a standard and a certain level of expectations among all committee members.
General Code of Conduct:
As a management committee member of a housing society, these are the general code of conduct that needs to be followed:
Act with Integrity and Honesty
- Transparency and openness in apartment dealings is essential
- Never misuse your MC position and power. Use it responsibly
- Earn and sustain housing society’s trust
Execute with Thoroughness & Due Care in Financial Operations
- Ensure availability of relevant information
- Make adequate enquiries
- Understand strategic, financial & other decisions implications
Put Society’s Best Interest Forward
- Be accountable for actions taken by you
- Take responsibility for your decisions
- Activities that bring disrepute to the society should be avoided
Act Impartially, Fairly and in Good Faith
- Self-interest, impulse, discrimination and bias should be avoided
- Act in a polite manner and be respectful towards others
Appropriate Information Usage
- Information collected as a committee member is expected to be used in a proper manner. The right discretion should be used while disclosing or keeping a particular piece of information confidential.
- Comply with privacy obligations in dealing with any kind of personal information you gain as a management committee member.
Use your Managing Committee Member Position Appropriately
- Never take undue advantage of your managing committee member position for yourself, friends or family.
- Never use your position for causing damage to Society.
- Decline favors or gifts that may influence your independent judgement as a managing committee member.
Compliance with Society Byelaws
- Go through Society byelaws carefully and adhere to the society rules.
- Understand the jurisdiction of the power given to you and act accordingly.
Code of Conduct for Management Committee Meetings:
The single measurement unit of how effective a management committee is the number of meetings a committee conducts in a year to discuss the welfare of an apartment and residents. The ideal number of meetings that an apartment committee should conduct is expected to at least be somewhere in between 50-54 meetings in a year.
However, very few apartment management committees meet in a regularly and orderly fashion. Most of the apartment meetings get cancelled frequently. If they do happen, they never start or end on time. Some of the ground rules given below should help and most of these would work and be helpful for management committee of any apartment size:
- Try to attend every meeting.
- Give advance notice to President/Chairman in case you are unable to attend meeting.
- Come prepared for the meeting – read agenda, emails or any important documents.
- Switch off your mobile phone during the meeting.
- Respect difference of opinion during the meeting and always respect others decisions.
- Speak politely and do not indulge in heated arguments.
- Engage in constructive and healthy discussions.
- Accept any decisions that win majority votes even if you personally disagree with the same.
- Speak only when it’s your turn and listen carefully when others speak.
- Treat other management committee members with respect and ensure no behavior should be interpreted as bullying, harassment or discrimination.
- Make positive contributions to discussions.
- Avoid long speeches and be concise.
- Always be respectful towards the committee chair and adhere to the ruling provided by the same.
Code of Conduct while dealing with Society employees or Contractors:
- Treat vendors and staff of the society with respect.
- In case, as a management committee member you have a concern about conduct of any staff member, you should contact relevant management committee member in-charge and try to informally resolve the problem.
- Put up formal complaints at MC meetings instead of getting involved in heated arguments with staff.
Try to follow the above mentioned code of conduct and put society’s best interest forward for contributing significantly in building a healthy community.
Don’t just be a complex, be a smart apartment complex. Get your Society on ApnaComplex.com – Today for free!